By the end of the General Surgery rotation, H.O. will be able to:
1. Carry out a focused history taking, do physical examination, justify the
diagnosis, discuss management plans, and perform relevant follow-up of the
progress of the following clinical conditions (At least one patient for each
- Wounds and ulcers
- Common infections (e.g. Hand infections, face infections, erysipelas)
- Anal disorders – Hernias – Breast masses – Jaundice - Acute abdomen
- Inguino-scrotal swellings
- Common neck swellings (thyroid, Lymph nodes)
- Varicose veins
- Foot problems in diabetics
2. Provide 1st aid measures for acute abdomen.
3. Identify common surgical instruments and describe their use.
4.Prepare patients for different operative intervention
5. Provide the appropriate postoperative care6-Identify cases that need hospital admission.
7. Write medical reports for referral and requests for investigations.