Lecture 1 Introdution
After this lecture you should be able to do the following:
1. List six different property classifications of materials that determine their applicability.
2. Cite the four components that are involved in the design, production, and utilization of materials, and briefly describe the interrelationships between these components.
3. Cite three criteria that are important in the materials selection process.
4. (a) List the three primary classifications of solid materials, and then cite the distinctive chemical feature of each. (b) Note the four types of advanced materials and, for each, its distinctive feature(s).
5. (a) Briefly define “smart material/system.” (b) Briefly explain the concept of “nanotechnology” as it applies to materials.